Thursday, November 18, 2010

Shredded Chicken Fajita Nachos - I cannot rave on this one enough!

Shredded Chicken Fajita Nachos - crockpot recipe - Gf/Cf/Sf

This is an adaptation of Rachael Ray's Chicken Fajita Soup (which is delicious BTW, a great comfort food), combining it with regular taco and fajita seasoning recipes. I made this Superbowl Sunday, and it was sooooooo good. I think I have remembered all the ingredients.

2lbs thin chicken cutlets
Juice of two limes
2 Tablespoon coriander (finely ground, may have to ground coriander yourself and sift)
2 Tablespoon Cumin
Salt and Freshly Ground black pepper

1/2 - 1 cup Beer (we use Redbridge, it is a sorghum beer that is Gf/Cf) or some rum/tequila
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3-4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (optional)

3-4 medium bell peppers, seeds removed and diced
1-2 large onions, diced (I prefer a sweet onion because I make pico de gallo for the toppings with red onions)
2-4 Tablespoons oil

Taco seasoning recipe
6tsp Chili Powder
5tsp paprika
4 1/2 tsp cumin
2.5 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne

1/2 - 1tsp sugar
Combine the first ingredients, from the chicken to the tomato paste, in a crock pot.

Let it cook until the meat easily falls apart, which probably will take at least 2-3 hours.

Combine the ingredients listed under the taco seasoning recipe. You will not be adding all of it to the meat, I just knew that I used portions of this that I already had made up to season my meat.

When the meat easily flakes, you will take the meat out and put it in a skillet with the oil, diced peppers, and onions. *
*You are going to have a good bit of left-over paste and liquid, which you will want to save aside for either future batches of this stuff or for chili. I did not add this excess to the peppers and onions, but I needed the liquid to help make sure the chicken cooked evenly and was moist enough to fall apart.

Add (to taste) the taco seasoning mixture.

Add the sugar.

Serve over chips. Really good with Pico De Gallo (basically, combine red onions, diced cilantro, diced tomatoes, lime juice).

I hope I remembered it all, I did not write it down right away. I am notorious for not doing that. If I remember anything else, or have to change what I wrote here, I will post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment