Friday, July 29, 2011
For those who have not made jam or jelly before, freezer jam is different from shelf-stable varieties in that you do NOT cook the fruit. Which also means you retain the fruit flavor better.
Pumona's contains 1 packet of low Methoxyl citrus pectin and 1 packet monocalcium phosphate.
I bought 5 - 2 lb containers of blueberries. So 10 lbs of blueberries.
This made approximately 16 cups of smashed fruit.
The recipe from Pumona's called for these measurements:
4c mashed fruit
1/4c lemon or lime (optional)
1/2-1c honey or 3/4-2c sugar
3t Pectin powder
4-12t calcium water
Here is how my attempt measured out:
16 cups smashed blueberries
1c lime or lemon juice (optional)
12t Pectin powder
24-36t calcium water
1) Make calcium water (directions in box of pectin)
2) Wash and rinse the jars and lids. I sterilize my jars in boiling water for 10 minutes, and then place them in a hot oven to keep them hot and dry until ready to use. The lids remain in boiling water until use.
3) Wash fruit, pick out the bad fruit, and mash the good fruit. Depending on the fruit, you may or may not need to use a food processor.
4) Mix in lemon or lime juice (optional).
5) Measure the fruit and lime/lemon juice.
6) Measure sugar or other sweetener (many alternatives to sugar mentioned in packet) and stir into fruit.
7) Boil the water. A food processor is needed. Place water and Pectin powder in the blender and blend so that all the powder dissolves, around 1-2 minutes.
8) Add this mixture, while still hot, to the fruit and sugar. Mix in very well.
9) For original recipe size (not my large batch), add 4t calcium water to fruit/pectin mixture. Stir well, and if you don't start to see jell form, add more calcium water, 1t at a time.
10)Pull jars out of the oven and fill them, leaving 1/2" head space. Put on lids and store in freezer right away. Keep in the refrigerator only when you are going to be using the jam. It lasts about a week in the refrigerator.
Monday, July 4, 2011
1 Tbsp. Oil/butter/palm oil shortening
Optional ingredient - cashews. Yummy, and they give it a good crunch.
There are two methods for cooking this:
Shorter Method, though more work
Put in a casserole dish (a deep one). Cook covered, for 1 - 1 1/2 hours in a 300 degree oven. Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.