Thursday, November 18, 2010

Meatballs - on to my non-Thanksgiving recipes

Before I fall asleep, I will go ahead and post some of my recipes from Facebook. 

Here it is - the meatball recipe I adapted to be gluten, casein, and soy free. It was originally (the non gf/cf/sf recipe) on recipezaar.com as Kittencal's Famous Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs.

These are very moist, though not mushy, and have plenty of flavor. 
The only adaptations I need to make since the last time I made these is to remove the garlic and real eggs.  It is GF/CF/SoyF in its current form.

I tripled the recipe, so the triple batch is what I am listing:

4 lbs ground meat (I combined 2lb ground beef, 1lb pork sausage, 1lb breakfast sausage links, ground)
3 large eggs, slightly beaten, or egg substitute
1 package Namaste Say Cheez cooked noodles and seasoning, medium to rough-chopped in blender*
3-6 T fresh minced garlic, or 1T garlic powder
1-2T salt (or to taste, original recipe suggested using seasoned salt)
1T fresh ground black pepper
1 - 1.5 cups rice or unsweetened coconut milk
1.5 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 6T dried parsley)
2 large containers pasta sauce (I use the big Prego containers, not sure the ounces in those containers)

1. Chop and mix all ingredients in a bowl. A potato masher works good, I found out.
2. Shape into small meatballs (though I did make moderate to large ones, and they held together just fine). You can place them on a jelly roll/baking sheet and freeze to cook later, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to store for up to 24 hours before use, if you want. They cook just fine when cooked immediately after forming meatballs.
3. Heat pasta sauce to a simmer, either in the oven or on the stovetop. I recommend the oven for a large batch of meatballs, because you can use a roasting pan, with more room for the meatballs to spread out and cook evenly.

Stovetop directions: Drop meatballs into simmering pasta sauce and cook for 20 minutes. DO NOT STIR for at least 20 minutes, this allows the meatballs to cook enough that the meatballs maintain their shape. Cook for at least another 20 minutes, until the meat is cooked. This time is based on the original recipe, so you may need to cook longer for this batch)

Oven Directions: Meatballs may be cooked at 350 degrees F in the oven for 25 minutes (though with this bigger batch, I cooked at least between 40 minutes and an hour.

Serve over Rice Noodles.


* as a note, I do use ghee with my kids, and in place of some of the oil in the Say Cheez pasta dish, I use ghee

This batch provided about six frozen family servings of meatballs and one non-frozen meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment