Thursday, November 18, 2010

Good Gravy - recipes for Thanksgiving

This is going to be simple.  Okay, maybe not so simple.  I will post the recipe link and ingredients here.  You can find the directions in the links.  Since they are all adaptations of other recipes, I want to be sure to give credit to the original source.

I still have not decided how I am doing the potatoes.  I will probably see how it works to simmer down some unsweetened coconut milk into a thicker "cream" and add it along with some other seasonings.  

We are also having organic Cranberry Sauce from a can, bread rolls for the non-gf/cf folks, and a Pecan Pie.  Pecan Pie is easy to adapt, but I am not sure how using rice syrup will go, so I am holding off on putting that one out here.

 The Turkey
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html
  • 1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey

For the brine:

  • 1 cup kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 gallon vegetable stock  (I plan to use my chicken stock)
  • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
  • 1 gallon heavily iced water

For the aromatics:

  • 1 red apple, sliced
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 sprigs rosemary
  • 6 leaves sage
  • Canola oil

 Gravy
http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2009/11/gluten-free-gravy.html

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
2 cups chicken stock (or juices from the roasted turkey)
salt and pepper to taste



 Dutch Apple Pie
http://www.food.com/recipe/dutch-apple-pie-43990

Topping



Pie Crust
http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-pie-crust-134808
  • 3/4 cup rice flour
  • 3 teaspoons honey (You may have to go higher, it needs to be sweeter, and I have already upped the honey amount in this recipe)
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 1/3 cup palm oil shortening 
  • 2 tablespoons cold water


Chicken Stock

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-stock-7689

 Opal's Pumpkin Pie
http://www.food.com/recipe/opals-pumpkin-pie-102073
  • 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin (or fresh cooked equivalent)
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 well beaten eggs' worth of egg substitute
  • 1 cup evaporated coconut milk (I am going to attempt cooking down coconut milk to make it thicker without using the canned stuff.  I think the canned stuff has a more coconut flavor to it that is not always welcome in all dishes)
  • 1 cup heavy cream (I have a couple options for this one, but I think I am going with the coconut coffee creamer that I found in the cold section, it is sweet and creamy in just the right way).
  • 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells


 Green Bean Casserole
http://christmas.food.com/recipe/fabulous-dairy-and-soy-free-green-bean-casserole-340534
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 tablespoons coconut oil or palm oil shortening
  • 10 button mushrooms
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 3 tablespoons rice flour and/or zanthan gum
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 16 ounces frozen green beans
  • 6 ounces French-fried onions (I am going to make these over the weekend, so I will let you know how that goes and what ingredients to use)

Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing:   
http://www.food.com/recipe/cornbread-sausage-stuffing-14200
  • 1 lb sausage (I use Beeler's sausage chubs)
  • 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
  • 5 cups dry, day old bread, cut in cubes (I can do with with Megan's stuffing, as she can eat Udi's gluten-free breads, but if egg is a problem, you may have to rely on the cornbread).
  • cornbread, crumbled (one 8" pan unless ^ is your problem too) I am using Bob's Red Mill cornbread mix.
  • 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
  • 1 teaspoon marjoram
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 -3 cups chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil or palm oil shortening

No comments:

Post a Comment