Monday, December 6, 2010

Sorry for skipping out: 2 Tips for Cooking

It has been busy here.  Family has been in town, and I have been, well, at times, in mental overload.  I always get that way with visitors, no matter how much I get along with them.




Anyway, for the cooking tip: cook pancakes in the oven. 

I know, to some this sounds like a sacrilege, but hey, if you like hardened discs that taste rubbery at times, and are rather flat, be my guest and keep cooking on the stovetop.  For me, I prefer oven-cooked pancakes.  They are lighter in texture, have less oil in them, and rarely end up burnt.  I can cook a whole batch in the matter of 15 minutes (and spend most of the time AWAY from the oven). 

I have been using 1-2-3 GLUTEN FREE buckwheat pancake mix.  It is gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, casein free, peanut free, tree nut free, corn free, egg free, soy free, and potato free.   I make the Banana Pancake version, which is egg free and can be easily made dairy free.  It is wonderful.  Light, fluffy, not too sweet, with a nice banana taste. 

I mix it up according to the directions, and use a 1/4 cup measure to pour out the batter on to a parchment paper.  I like using parchment paper because the food does not stick to the pan and comes off the paper easily.   

I don't flip them, I just let them cook on 350 for a few minutes (I admit, I am not timing them, and just check in on them to see if they are done). 

So that was a simple tip.  When cooking gluten free, that is perhaps a sanity-saver as gluten free food is notorious for not having the stickiness to hold it together.  Save your sanity, and enjoy the taste, of an oven-baked pancake.

Oh, and bake your bacon too.  It saves time, and you don't get grease splatters all over.  Just lay out the strips of bacon on a baking sheet (again, parchment paper is a lifesaver), turn on the oven, and let the bacon cook.  Cook times will vary with bacon, given that different brands have different thicknesses.  But the strips come out straighter, and you don't have to spend all that time flipping bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment